10 ways to make the game greater

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
10 ways to make the game greater

* By Phil Rothfield
    * October 14, 2009

Phil Rothfield Source: The Daily Telegraph
I will be online from 1pm today for your thoughts and comments.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225786452368

Here are my 10 ideas:
1 Clubs sell only 10 home games to season ticket holders and move sold out blockbuster matches to bigger stadiums.

2 Dump the McIntyre finals system and take up the AFL system where the top four sides are guaranteed a second chance. Play all finals at neutral venues.

3 Do the entire draw in advance with days of the week nominated at the start of the year so fans can plan flights and weekends.

4 Introduce 5-point tries if they are scored in first three tackles of a set. Will take away the boredom of five hit-ups and a kick.

5 Introduce golden try instead of golden point. Teams would thrown the ball about instead of hitting up for a field goal.

6 Bring in Central Coast and a second Brisbane team. Extra game could be played as viewers choice on Sunday afternoons at 2pm.

7 Break the competition into two conferences. The Sydney clubs in one and the out-of-towners in the other. Winner of each conference plays in grand final.

8 Play Origin on weekends. English Premier League takes a break for internationals without worrying about TV rights.

9 Scrap City v Country - it’s a total waste of time.

10 Play three games a year at the Sydney Cricket Ground between traditional rivals.

point 1 as long as the home club gets the gate

agree with point 2 and 3

point 4 sounds ok but would need to be tested out

with point 6 I dont think we could sustain 2 more teams

point 7 is rediculous

He forgot the most important ways:

1.  Get rid of News Ltd from our game; and
2.  Get rid of Gallop.

I agree with B_e with point 1 as long as the home club gets the gate.

Forget about points 6 & 7.

Totally agree with points 2 & 3.

He missed some of the crucial points

1. Remove Phil Rothfield
2. Remove the hypocrite Rebecca Wilson
3. Remove Hagnay

As for his list, he can shove 4 and 7 up his arse imo

Was never a fan of Origin stand alone weekend either

Here's 10 more from Dean Ritchie...

1) Every Sunday afternoon MUST feature a game in Sydney.

2) Reduce interchange from ten to eight to bring back the Gladiator role for players and re-invent the role for smaller players.

3) The Toyota Cup must increase from under 20s to under 23s. Kids are too young at 20 to be told they are washed up.

4) Sin-bin to be reduced to five minutes. Ten minutes - one-eighth of a game - is excessive.

5) NRL to take a modern approach and align itself to one betting agency which is given official teams, numbers and team changes. Jumpers to display official agency logo. A deal worth $16 million - TAB Sportsbet held $9 million on the grand final alone - would result in a $1 million boost to each club.

6) If an attacking kick goes dead-in-goal, a turn-over to the opposition where the kick was taken. Let's see our fullbacks run the ball.

7) Gate takings to be split for Sydney games, prompting both clubs to make an effort to promote the match.

8 ) Teams that miss a penalty goal do not receive the ball back from a drop-out. The oposition to receive a tap re-start.

9) Too much significance on goalkicking. The gap between a try and a goal should increase. Should conversions be worth 50 per cent of a try?

10) If dummy half runs with the ball there can be no offside from defenders. Currently this is a very grey area for either markers not square or deemed offside. This would simplify penalties in this area.

2 - could be interesting, not sure if it would be better or not.
3 - i agree with, the kids either go into NRL or go 'missing' in the NSW cup after they turn 20.  It pretty much stalls their playing momentum ie: from big exposure to nothing more than park footy
9 - could be good for us since i cringe every time we score out wide haha

Of course some of the ideas are ridiculous and only there for debate...when the public blow up about something like 'break the comp into conferences' the journos like to call it 'passionate supporters debating on our blog' but in reality it's just common sense and the fans telling the journos they're a bunch of a$$flies

1 Clubs sell only 10 home games to season ticket holders and move sold out blockbuster matches to bigger stadiums. Our big games away from  Brookie - No way

2 Dump the McIntyre finals system and take up the AFL system where the top four sides are guaranteed a second chance. Play all finals at neutral venues.First & Second should get home games in the first week - rest of them should be played on the best ground in there state

3 Do the entire draw in advance with days of the week nominated at the start of the year so fans can plan flights and weekends.About time

4 Introduce 5-point tries if they are scored in first three tackles of a set. Will take away the boredom of five hit-ups and a kick.Why take the forwards out of the game - already screwed up scrums

5 Introduce golden try instead of golden point. Teams would thrown the ball about instead of hitting up for a field goal.[Yes

6 Bring in Central Coast and a second Brisbane team. Extra game could be played as viewers choice on Sunday afternoons at 2pm.more other problems before this one

7 Break the competition into two conferences. The Sydney clubs in one and the out-of-towners in the other. Winner of each conference plays in grand final.Why

8 Play Origin on weekends. English Premier League takes a break for internationals without worrying about TV rights.[font=Verdana]Is the origin a problem[/font]

9 Scrap City v Country - it’s a total waste of time.Only a selected few get to play in SOO so what do the fringe players get as a test

10 Play three games a year at the Sydney Cricket Ground between traditional rivals. Why

I have a problem with teams kicking the dead from halfway so fullbacks dont get to run the ball back in broken play - the defensive team should get to play the ball from where that team kicked it

Get rid of Gallop

Reduce the amount of teams in Sydney

Make send offs a replacement and 10 minutes in the bin

Only one game on Friday night

No Monday night Football

Play 4 quarters football

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10