$1 Million offered to Hiku to Leave Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kite's tongue was lodged firmly In his cheek.

I would feel sorry for wolfman, but I would rather gift if that's what it came down too

Another Crap article re the Eagles from the SMH. I find it very hard to believe our management would have discussed with a reporter their plans to talk to wolf about pissing him off so as to keep the Gift before they had even have spoken to the Wolf. This article has as much credibility as Zorba did before our court of law.

Cliffy said:
... I find it very hard to believe our management would have discussed with a reporter their plans to talk to wolf about pissing him off so as to keep the Gift before they had even have spoken to the Wolf...
Me too. In fact I do not believe it. They would have spoken to Wolf first.

Brissie Kid said:
NRL star David Williams could be squeezed out as Manly Sea Eagles look for way to keep Glenn Stewart

April 15, 2014 - 5:47PM
Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

Former NSW and Australia representative David Williams could be squeezed out of Manly as the club struggles to balance the books for next year.

Williams was dumped to the NSW Cup on Sunday following the return of winger Jorge Taufua from injury. The other wing spot went to Peta Hiku, who is poised to sign a three-year extension this week despite a more lucrative offer from the Warriors.

Williams recently signed a two-year extension but it's understood Manly management will not stand in his way should he request a release. The "Wolfman" could dig his heels in but he is rated the third-choice winger for the Sea Eagles and faces the prospect of seeing out his contract in the NSW Cup unless injuries or form conspire against the incumbents. It's understood Manly powerbrokers plan to discuss the matter with Williams' management this week.

The Sea Eagles are keen to retain Glenn Stewart but don't have room under the salary cap to table him an offer. Officials have spoken to his management about the possibility of keeping him should other players be released. However, the grand finalists are already over the cap for next year and, even if Williams departed, those funds alone wouldn't be available for Stewart's retention.

Manly have been arguably the most dominant club of the past decade, a constant finalist and winner of two grand finals. Former coach Des Hasler was able to retain the nucleus of the squad by back-ending contracts. The practice has proven successful but has left the current management with a problem as it tries to strike a balance between rewarding those responsible for past success while retaining enough talented youngsters to ensure the good times continue.

Other Sea Eagles off contract this year include Jamie Buhrer and Tom Symonds. Players becoming free agents the following season include Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran, Justin Horo and Steve Matai.

For Stewart to be made an offer, the club would most likely need to move on at least three players. Even then, the NRL could deem the contract does not reflect his status and refuse to register it.

The good news for Manly is Hiku is close to a deal. A big step towards agreement came when Hiku was preferred to Williams against Cronulla, outlining a clear career path for a man who has done a fine job at fullback covering Brett Stewart's injuries.

"It'd be really good to stay and play at Manly," Hiku told Sky Sports Radio.

"Everyone there has brought me in well, it'd be tough to leave. My manager called me last night, hopefully we can get something sorted this week. We'll just see what happens there."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-star-david-williams-could-be-squeezed-out-as-manly-sea-eagles-look-for-way-to-keep-glenn-stewart-20140415-zqv4n.html

Hmmmm is this the very same journalist from the SMH that published this 'Exclusive' in 2011.

Adrian Proszenko
October 7, 2011 12:08am (was time on article but since removed).

DES HASLER isn't going anywhere. He is poised to sign a three-year extension with Manly which, with bonuses, is worth more than $1 million a season.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/hasler-set-to-sign-new-deal-with-sea-eagles-20111006-1lbu0.html#ixzz1a0h6txwv

:dodgy:

Technical Coach said:
Masked Eagle said:
Technical Coach said:
Peta is composed class but just lacks spark and commitment to a hole/line run when in the red zone.

Peta has a nice rounded skillset, good hands, good footwork, good upper body strength good under the bomb, kick return metres are better than Brett and decent defence also.

Sometimes Wolfie has been made the scapegoat for defensive errors because it is easier to just blame the winger, especially in relation to defensive errors coming outside in. Usually Centres have the bigger name so get less of the blame for rushing up way too early.

Mark Gasnier left his winger posted often and every time the commentary would say "oh the winger should of jammed in following the centre", which in some cases is correct other times the centre is overly pro active.

If the winger just takes the simple approach and always moves up following his centre(which is trained, drilled and expected in most cases not all if the centre communicates otherwise) he can easily be exposed on the outside from a pass or kick and made to look as if he did not count numbers, if the winger hangs back and the attack goes through the hole left by not jamming in or causes the defensive line to slide due to not moving up (allowing the play to unfold with attacking numbers and not shutting it off early) the winger is to blame again.

Wolfie does offer strong early tackle count kick returns hits the defensive line hard and straight and would of finished off that disallowed try more times than not.

Are you saying the best defensive centre in the game doesn't know how to defend?

He wouldn't let in 90% of the tries he's conceded down his sides if he just followed killers lead. Wolfman is not hitting late, or getting there too slow, he's going way too early and often hitting the wrong guy. He stands too wide and too much space, he needs to stand closer to begin with and then chase out.

Did I say that, all I am saying is the wing position way too often gets the blame and centres with big names get away with more blunders in defence.

Williams does have issues but it is not always his fault, there are times when a lack of communication is evident, yes he follows the centres lead as all wingers generally do. Yes Williams does come in early often but that is not to say the communication is up to par in many instances also which the centre has to take part of the blame.

Way too often I see centres come in and jam way beyond what is necessary---I'm in favour of this defence but not to the extent of what some centres move in--- it is crazy at times.

There is a fine line you don't want to be sliding backwards on your try line and not shut off the play before the attacking numbers overwhelm the defence but at times a little more composure is necessary.

Further up the field you can get away with jamming in early--- if the attack gets on the outside of the centre he then slides slide across and tells the winger to hold which happens often----or the inside defenders slide behind the jamming in centre to help out the winger also.

I just see in the modern game a little too much emphasis on overly jamming in both from the winger and centre creating an overlap that was never going to happen.

Jamming up and in is necessary Manly and Melb over the past 7 years have done it better than most and basically pioneered the modern version of it. Manly needed to improve this area in 2008 to beat the Storm and get on top of the Storms pet plays which they did.

I am not seeing Wolfie follow his centres lead. I'm seeing team defence from the inside and him shooting out when he didn't need too. You should only cut off when they have numbers on you, if they don't you just usher them to the sideline. Way too many of Wolfmans reads have resulted in overlaps for the opposition when there wasn't one to begin with. He just does it way too early, I can understand the need to cut someone off, but he's done it a few times even before the sweeping player has even gotten the ball. If he was just a bit later then at least it makes the ball player have to make a call and it results in a 50/50 play for them but he's out of the play and the only option the ball player has is a player running into a massive hole. Even Mitchell Pearce can make that play ... most of the time anyway! ;)

Playing outside a great defensive centre should be a piece of cake. At least in comparison to defending outside a poor one, which we most definitely do not have. Wolfman defends like he doesn't trust Killer to make the right call. Have any of our other wingers made as many bad reads? I'd be amazed if its not on opposition tip sheets that he has a knack for doing it.

I'd say early in his career Stevie Matai used to shoot up out of the line a little too recklessly and it occasionally resulted in tries on his side, but he rarely makes a bad call now and he and Jorge have a terrific understanding on that side. Doesn't mean they always get it right, but Jorge defends a lot closer to Matai on those sweeping plays. Its just a better way to do it IMO.

I love Wolfie as much as the next Manly supporter and he's done some things on the field which will leave me smiling on my deathbed, but IMO he makes some very bad reads in defence. Maybe sometimes it hasn't been entirely his fault but on the vast majority I think he's taken some really bad gambles and come up snake eyes on way too many occasions for it not be considered a flaw in his game.

cliffhanger said:
I just find hiku to be just an above average footballer.

You fail to see the footballer inside the 'just above average' physical qualities. Totally different type to Snake and our centres etc, but capable of rising to a high level in his own right, I think.

As for Wolf, unlike many of you I have no idea about the technical side, but I reckon he is unfairly derided for his defence.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many tries we concede down either side?

Not too many of course @SeaEagleRock8.

As for Peta being ONLY an above average footballer......That ain't a bad start at all for his age.
You could say the same about Skivvy when he first started with us in the top grade, and look at how he developed!

HappilyManly said:
Wolfie is on peanuts, but he still would need to be paid out, so the Cap won't reduce at all :cool:

Not Necessarily.

If Wolf requests a release then we do not need to pay him out.

If its a mutual decision and he earns an eaqual or superior contract elsewhere we do not need to pay him out.

If we punt him and then we have to pay him at least the shortfall in his next contract, possibly even pay him out in full.

It all depends on the negotiation of his release and if the deal doesnt save us money then we wouldn't do it!

The Who said:
Wolfie's on peanuts???
I thought he was on a raw meat diet.

Actually some morons people consider peanuts to be part of the meat food group.

Article just posted on Zero Tackle:
http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/peta-hiku-turns-down-move-to-warriors-12994/
Peta Hiku to stay at Manly for the next 3 years.

Pretty happy with that news….i reckon this guys is special…he is only very young and already plays a mature brand of footy….he may lack some pace but has good defence and strong kick returns...

He also knows he has a MUCH better chance of getting a Premiership Ring that he can show his grandkids by staying with Manly.

Good choice Peta

finally someone after premiership glory and not just chasing the $$$ on offer.

would have been a lot to weigh up for him being from there...
but the manly culturewins out again! just hope we don't have to pay overs for him onces he's an international.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2